One of our favorite holidays at #CasaMarcela is Easter. After all, we are all about any holiday that brings friends and family together to enjoy good food, good drinks, and amazing company! Are you hosting Easter this year? Do you simply need a good recipe for a Sunday get-together? As you may know, lamb chops were a staple during Marcela’s pregnancy with David (she pretty much wanted them on a daily basis)! These lamb chops from Casa Marcela: Recipes and Food Stories of My Life in The Californias will be a new favorite for you and you’ll want them everyday also!
And so, without further ado, let’s all celebrate Easter in #DeLaLuz #CasaMarcela style: fire up the stove or grill and give these delicious Apple-Mint Lamb Chops a try! Oh, and look out for bits and pieces of Casa Marcela recipes that we’ll sneak in here over the next few weeks as we get ready for the book’s big launch on April 25th. Have you placed your pre-order yet? Go and do it; this is one way to guarantee an amazing round of delicious recipes this coming season!
Wishing you all a lovely time for this beautiful family holiday!
Until next time,
Apple-Mint Lamb Chops
- ½ packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- ½ cup water
- 1 Granny Smith apple, unpeeled, diced into ¼-inch cubes
- ¼ cup firmly packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 racks of lamb (about 2 pounds total), sliced into individual chops (or buy 2 pounds individual lamb chops)
For the apple-mint salsa, put the sugar, corn syrup, and water in a heavy medium pot and bring to a boil. Add the diced apple and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the mint and vinegar and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt.
For the lamb chops, place the whole peppercorns in a molcajete or spice grinder and grind until coarse. Transfer to a small bowl and set aside. Place the garlic cloves in the molcajete or food processor and grind until it becomes a paste. Combine the garlic with the pepper in processor. Add the herbs to the pepper and garlic and mix to combine. Add ½ cup of the olive oil to the herb and garlic paste and season to taste with salt.
Place the lamb chops on a work surface and season each with salt. Rub the herb and garlic paste on both sides of the lamb chops.
Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a grill pan over high heat. Add the chops and sear for about 2 minutes per side for medium doneness.
Transfer the chops to a platter and serve with the apple-mint salsa.