We have another great recipe from Casa Marcela: Recipe and Food Stories of My Life in The Californias, because we cant resist but to share the #CasaMarcela love with you all. I bet a lot of you would have never thought tomatillos can also be eaten raw but guess what you can and we have the perfect recipe for them for your next party…. Hint Hint: Memorial Day is just around the corner. These tostadas are inspired after a traditional fish ceviche and to be honest with you they are so good you don’t really even miss the fish making it a great option for all our vegetarian amigos (don’t add queso fresco and you have a vegan dish). And let me tell you these are also bite size where you won’t be able to just have one. Get your knife and cutting board ready because you are in for a tarty treat.
Tomatillo Ceviche Tostadas
(As an Appetizer: Makes 18 Tostaditas)
- 9 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 8 medium tomatillos, husked, rinsed, and diced into 1⁄8-inch cubes
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 onion, diced into 1⁄8-inch pieces
- 1 fresh serrano chile, stemmed and diced into 1⁄8-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Finishing salt
Using a 2-inch round cookie cutter, cut 2 rounds out of each tortilla to make tostaditas. (Don’t throw the scraps out! You can use them for chilaquiles.) Heat a grill pan over high heat. Grill the tortilla rounds until they are crispy and no longer pliable, about 4 minutes per side. They will be dark on some edges and in spots (more flavor!). Set aside.
Meanwhile, add the tomatillos, avocado, onion, serrano, and lime juice to a bowl and stir well to
combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Add the crumbled queso fresco and toss gently.
Top each tostadita with 1 heaping tablespoon of the ceviche. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with finishing salt, and serve immediately.